If you began to notice that the speed of the Internet via WiFi was not the same as before, and the lights on the router blink rapidly even when you are not using a wireless connection, then it is quite possible you will decide to change the password for WiFi. This is not difficult to do, and in this article we will look at how.
Note: after you change the password on Wi-Fi, you may encounter one problem, here is its solution: The network settings stored on this computer do not meet the requirements of this network.
Table of Contents
Change Wi-Fi password on a D-Link DIR router
In order to change the wireless password on Wi-Fi D-Link routers (DIR-300 NRU, DIR-615, DIR-620, DIR-320 and others), launch any browser on the device that is connected to the router – it doesn’t matter , via Wi-Fi or just a cable (although it’s better to use a cable, especially in cases where you need to change the password for the reason that you yourself do not know it. Then follow these steps:
- Enter 192.168.0.1 in the address bar
- To request a login and password, enter the standard admin and admin or, if you changed the password to enter the router settings, enter your password. Please note: this is not the password that is required to connect via Wi-Fi, although in theory they can be the same.
- Next, depending on the firmware version of the router, you need to find the item: “Configure manually”, “Advanced settings”, “Manual Setup”.
- Select "Wireless Network", and in it – security settings.
- Change the password to Wi-Fi, and you don’t need to know the old one. If the authentication method is WPA2 / PSK, the password must be at least 8 characters long.
- Save the settings.
That’s all, the password has been changed. You may need to “forget” the network on devices that have previously connected to the same network to connect with a new password.
Change password on Asus router
In order to change the password for Wi-Fi on Asus Rt-N10, RT-G32, Asus RT-N12 routers, launch the browser on the device connected to the router (either by wire, or by Wi-Fi) and enter in the address bar 192.168.1.1, then, when asked about the username and password, enter either the username and password standard for Asus routers – admin and admin, or if you changed the standard password to yours, enter it.
- In the menu on the left in the "Advanced Settings" section, select "Wireless Network"
- Specify the desired new password in the “WPA Pre-shared Key” item (in case you use the WPA2-Personal authentication method, which is the most secure)
- Save settings
After that, the password on the router will be changed. It should be noted that when connecting devices that were previously connected via Wi-Fi to a custom router, you may need to “forget” the network in this router.
To change the password on the TP-Link WR-741ND WR-841ND router and others, you need to go to the address 192.168.1.1 in the browser from any device (computer, laptop, tablet) that is connected to the router directly or via Wi-Fi network .
- The standard username and password for entering the TP-Link router settings are admin and admin. If the password does not fit, remember what you changed it for (this is not the same password as for the wireless network).
- In the menu on the left, select "Wireless Network" or "Wireless"
- Select "Wireless Security" or "Wireless Security"
- Enter your new Wi-Fi password in the PSK Password field (in case you have selected the recommended authentication type WPA2-PSK.
- Save settings
It should be noted that after you change the password on Wi-Fi, on some devices you will need to delete the wireless network information with the old password.
How to change the password on the Zyxel Keenetic router
To change the password on Wi-Fi on Zyxel routers, on any device connected to the router via a local or wireless network, launch a browser and enter 192.168.1.1 in the address bar and press Enter. To request a login and password, enter either the standard Zyxel login and password – admin and 1234, respectively, or if you changed the default password, enter your own.
- In the menu on the left, open the Wi-Fi menu
- Open the "Security"
- Enter a new password. In the "Authentication" field, it is recommended to select WPA2-PSK, the password is specified in the Network key field.
How to change the password on a Wi-Fi router of a different brand
Password changes on other brands of wireless routers such as Belkin, Linksys, Trendnet, Apple Airport, Netgear, and others are similar. In order to find out the address to which you want to enter, as well as the login and password to enter, you just need to refer to the instructions for the router or, even easier – look at the sticker on its back – as a rule, this information is indicated there. Thus, changing the password on Wi-Fi is very simple.
Nevertheless, if something did not work out for you, or if you need help with your router model, write about it in the comments, I will try to respond as soon as possible.